COVID-19 Healthcare Guidance & Information
PPA will continue to keep you informed as this evolves!
The news about Coronavirus (COVID-19) is circulating faster in today’s information-centric world than we can keep up. Take comfort in knowing, the Pennsylvania Pharmacist Association (PPA) is closely monitoring developments and will share essential updates as they become available.
At this time the immediate risk to the American public is perceived to be low. Currently, the CDC does NOT endorse facemasks for general use, but advises taking routine preventive measures, including washing hands, covering coughs and sneezes, and staying home while ill. COVID-19 is thought to be mostly transmitted through person-to-person, close contact, similar to influenza.
As COVID-19 continues to impact communities across the country, it’s crucial that we all take the appropriate steps to protect ourselves and the communities we work, live, and enjoy in. Follow the steps below as an indicator of good practice in the area of public health.
What are the appropriate steps to avoid exposure and prevent infection?
Wash hands or use hand sanitizer frequently
Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or sleeve
Avoid close person-to-person contact with a person who is sick
Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces with an EPA-approved disinfectant
Healthcare personnel should adhere to Standard, Contact, and Airborne Precautions
The Facts About COViD-19:
Human coronaviruses may occasionally cause infections of the lower respiratory tract, such as pneumonia or bronchitis, most often in people with cardiopulmonary disease, people with weakened immune systems, infants and the elderly. Patients with COViD-19 have reportedly had symptoms generally associated with respiratory infections, such as fever, cough and shortness of breath. The symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure.
COViD-19 in Pennsylvania:
As of March 9, 2020, there are up to 10 presumptive positive cases of COViD-19 in PA.
Counties impacted to date include:
Pennsylvania State COViD-19 Help Line: 1-877-PA-HEALTH (1-877-724-3258)
Patient Guides to Handout at Pharmacies:
- Pennsylvania Department of Health COVID-19 Information for Health Care Professionals. https://www.health.pa.gov/
- Center for Disease Control COVID-19 Information for Health Care Professionals. https://www.cdc.gov/
- Environmental Protection Agency’s Registered Antimicrobial Products for Use Against Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, the Cause of COVID-19. https://www.epa.gov/sites/
production/files/2020-03/ documents/sars-cov-2-list_03- 03-2020.pdf
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists COViD-19 Healthcare Guidance. https://www.ashp.org/Pharmacy-
Practice/Resource-Centers/ Coronavirus/COVID-19- Healthcare-Guidance
- American Pharmacists Association’s Pharmacists’ Guide to Coronavirus. https://www.pharmacist.com/
- National Community Pharmacists Association COViD-19 Resource Guide. https://www.ncpanet.org/
Other State Pharmacists Association Resources: